“Indian fish cakes made with beautifully spiced flaked fish and potato encrusted in a crispy olive oil infused breadcrumb coating.”
Fish cakes were one of my favourite dishes growing up. I remember my mother making them with tuna, which has enough body to carry the spices without getting lost.
Nowadays, I still use tuna, but feel free to substitute it with any fish fillets of your choice. You will find that it is equally delicious with salmon, cod or even haddock fillets.
These Indian fish cakes are perfect on a cold evening in and can be enjoyed as a starter, main or even as a cheeky snack! I would suggest accompanying them with a side of salad, a portion of oven chips and your favourite condiments. However, if that’s too many carbohydrates for you on one plate, feel free to omit the chips altogether and enjoy!
Indian Fish CakesCourse: MainCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
Indian fish cakes made with beautifully spiced flaked fish and potato encrusted in a crispy olive oil infused breadcrumb coating.
300g pre-cooked fish fillets (pollock, coley, hake, tuna)
200g potatoes, peeled, cut and boiled
1 large white onion, diced
1 serrano pepper chilli, chopped finely
1 tbsp ginger, chopped finely
3 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- spice mix
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
1/4 tsp fennel seed, toasted and ground coarsely
1/2 tsp black pepper powder
1 tsp sea salt flakes
- to coat fishcakes
2 eggs, beaten
flour, as needed
1 cup breadcrumbs (seasoned with salt, pepper and 2 tbsp olive oil)
cooking oil, as needed
- Pre-cook fish fillets in simmering water for 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil and sauté onions until they become translucent. Add the serrano peppers, ginger, garlic and sauté for a further 2-3 minutes. Then add the powdered spices and sauté for 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the flame.
- Add the cooked potatoes and mash gently. Flake the pre-cooked fish into the mix and fold until everything has been well incorporated. Taste the mixture for salt and add more if required.
- Make lemon sized balls, pressing down into a hockey puck shape. Repeat until mixture is used up. Coat the fishcakes in flour, dusting off any excess. Place into the beaten eggs and finally into the seasoned breadcrumbs.
- Arrange on a baking tray and bake in a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes at 180 degrees. Once cooked, remove from the oven and serve.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #_pestleandspice.
If you love these fish cakes, then why don’t you check out our other seafood recipes? Like these delectable Indian fried calamari.
Recipe adapted from: fish cutlets from keralarecipes