“A beautifully creamy roasted cauliflower and garlic soup finished with a squeeze of lemon juice, topped with spring onions and sliced fried garlic.”
This cauliflower soup is like no other cauliflower soup recipe out there. The roasted cauliflower gives this soup a delicate charred and concentrated flavour that packs this soup with an intense cauliflower hit. Whilst the roasted garlic also adds and intense garlic and savoury note that complements the roasted cauliflower beautifully.
The soup is finished with a squeeze of lemon and garnished with chopped spring onions and slices of fried garlic. This soup is so moreish and lusciously creamy that you’ll want to immediately dive into a second helping!
Roasted Cauliflower and Garlic Soup
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 kg cauliflower head (cut into medium sized florets )
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 medium white onion (chopped finely)
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 3 unsalted butter
- fresh spring onions (sliced thinly)
- fried garlic slices
- 1. Preheat the oven to 180 ºC/160 ºC fan/gas 4.
- Cut the cauliflower head into medium sized florets and coat them in 2 tbsp of olive oil along with 6 unpeeled garlic cloves. Spread the cauliflower florets and garlic cloves evenly on a lined baking tray and roast for 25-30 minutes, tossing halfway through. Once done, remove from the oven and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a soup pot over a medium flame and add the onions, sautéing until they begin to soften. Add the vegetable broth, roasted cauliflower florets, peeled roasted garlic and bring the mixture up to a simmer. Turn the flame down low and place a lid over the pot. Let the soup simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Once 20 minutes have elapsed, remove the soup from the heat and allow it to cool down for 1-2 minutes. Carefully decant the slightly cooled soup into the blender and blend until smooth. Add butter and lemon juice and blend once more. If your blender is not big enough, blend your soup in 2-3 smaller batches. You don’t want to be blending scorching hot soup in a blender filled to capacity.
- Grind pepper and add salt as required. Transfer to individual bowls and sprinkle freshly chopped spring onions. Enjoy it on its own or with some lovely crusty bread.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #pestleandspiceuk.
If you love this creamy cauliflower soup, why don’t you check out our other vegetarian recipes? Like these beautiful indian cauliflower tray bake.
Recipe consulted during the making of this recipe: BBC good food’s cauliflower soup recipe.